About

Friday, September 18, 2009

Lessons from Lincoln

I thought that quotes from one of our most highly respected former Presidents, with one assist from another held in high renown, had clear application to today's contentious environment. See if you agree.



If I were to try to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business. I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out all right, what's said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right would make no difference.
Author: Abraham Lincoln

-If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.
Author: Abraham Lincoln -

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.
Author: Abraham Lincoln

Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Author: Abraham Lincoln

No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar.
Author: Abraham Lincoln

I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.
Author: Abraham Lincoln

He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help.
Author: Abraham Lincoln

What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself.
Author: Abraham Lincoln

The time comes upon every public man when it is best for him to keep his lips closed.
Author: Abraham Lincoln

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.
Author: Franklin D. Roosevelt

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.
Author: Abraham Lincoln

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts.
Author: Abraham Lincoln

Quarrel not at all. No man resolved to make the most of himself can spare time for personal contention.
Author: Abraham Lincoln

When I am getting ready to reason with a man, I spend one-third of my time thinking about myself and what I am going to say and two-thirds about him and what he is going to say.
Author: Abraham Lincoln

Truth is generally the best vindication against slander.
Author: Abraham Lincoln

I don't like that man. I must get to know him better.
Author: Abraham Lincoln

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.
Author: Abraham Lincoln

We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.
Author: Abraham Lincoln

We live in the midst of alarms; anxiety beclouds the future; we expect some new disaster with each newspaper we read.
Author: Abraham Lincoln

11 comments:

Jack said...

Some very appropriate quotes for today's contentious environment.
I'd like to add 4 to your list:
1. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
Author: Abraham Lincoln
2. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
Author: Abraham Lincoln
3. You cannot help the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
Author: Abraham Lincoln
4. There's no right way to do the wrong thing.
Author: My Grandmother
I wonder why you didn't include those? Oh, you didn't know my Grandmother!

Robert said...

Some more thoughts from Mr. Lincoln, which I am surprised you did not include:

How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.
Abraham Lincoln

I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong.
Abraham Lincoln

In great contests each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be wrong.
Abraham Lincoln

The assertion that "all men are created equal" was of no practical use in effecting our separation from Great Britain and it was placed in the Declaration not for that, but for future use.
Abraham Lincoln

The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew.
Abraham Lincoln

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.
Abraham Lincoln

These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert, to fleece the people.
Abraham Lincoln

Jack said...

I could have included those, but I had a particular purpose in sending the ones I chose which I'm certain didn't escape your notice, but as usual you chose to avoid commenting about.
Anyway, what do the ones you sent have to do with my grandmother?

Robert said...

are we just talking to ourselves or is anyone out their listening?

Jack said...

My grandmother is listening, but she ain't been hearin' anything from you

Richie Jay said...

You can't trust everything you read on the internet.
Author: Richie Jay

Many of the quotes written here are misattributed to Lincoln. I don't have time to check them all. For starters, dad, the one about fooling some people some of the time is attributed to just about everyone, and probably was never actually said by Lincoln. Jack, ALL of your Lincoln quotes were actually written in 1916 by William J. H. Boetcker, an outspoken conservative, and later falsely attributed to Lincoln in a conservative pamphlet published in 1942. Reagan accidentally cited these in a speech many years later.

Resident fact-checker, rj.

Jack said...

What about my Grandmother's quote?

Robert said...

Before we can really attribute it to your grandmother, we are going to need some independent proof and not merely your unsubstantiated allegations

Jack's Bubba said...

It's the Emm-Ess. I've been telling my kids and grandchildren that my whole life.
How dare you question the veracity of an old woman like me?

Robert said...

sorry Emm-Ess. I will never doubt you again

Robert said...

I meant sorry Bubba, that's the Emm-Ess