About

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Where is the Paperboy? (or Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth)

What time is it? A little bit after 8 AM was the reply. This was the second Sunday in a row that our paper had not arrived in a timely fashion and it was disturbing the rhythm of my day. What was going on?

It grew closer to 8:30 and still no paper. I don't think the paperboy is going to get any Christmas present this year, I announced. Then the phone rang.

What is happening with our delivery Jo asked. We partied too hard last night and the paperboy is not moving so quickly this morning. This was totally unacceptable.

You see, our closest friend lives directly across the street in Great Barrington. Each Saturday and Sunday morning, for about 2 years now, we have had absolutely free home delivery by him of the NY Times, together with bagels. We have come to expect prompt and efficient service. Delay caused by anything short of catastrophe the night before is not an excuse.

I met up with my friend this morning,and chastised him for his lack of effort and his unwillingness to live by the schedule I had established. I am sure he understood the possible ramifications of any further failures on his part.

We have developed a strange and wonderful bond. However, bonds can be broken. This is now an official warning that he is on a very tight leash. I will be standing at my door at 8 AM the next Saturday we are both in the Berkshires. If there is no paper and warm bagel in my hand at that time, I will have to think seriously about our future together. You see something for nothing may just not be good enough.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have liked a cheese omelete

Robert said...

Who is disappointed by not getting a cheese omelette (I need another hint)?

Anonymous said...

i think , that besides not giving the paperboy a xmas gift [hanukah gelt], that you deduct a nickel from the weekly bill, for every minute he late again

Robert said...

since the underlying cost to me is 0, it would be tough to be taking money from the paperboy.

Anonymous said...

Our paperboy has been late the last two weekends also... and we actually pay him! You try getting through that home delivery phone system to report it... you would rather shoot yourself first!

Robert said...

We definitely have an advantage in getting through to our carrier

Anonymous said...

Flowers,
We need flowers. We receive flowers weekly at our doorstep from the flower lady. Usually! Sometimes they last a week and sometimes they don't. But the cost is the same whether they last or not.
So I am in sympathy with your situation with your paperboy and will have to think very carefully when the holiday season rolls around.
You know who!!!!!

Robert said...

I can fully understand your concern with your flower lady. Isn't it difficult finding friends that will repay kindness appropriately?

Let's keep the exchange going for at least another year and hope that our partners take their responsibilities a little more seriously in the future.

Robert said...

Very cute

Howard

Anonymous said...

I only got a lousy bagel this past Sunday. I wanted a cheese omelete.

Robert said...

I figured it out shortly after you left the last clue.

We will have to enhance our menu for your next visit.

You get what you pay for.