About

Friday, May 2, 2014

My 15 Seconds

Printed below is an excerpt from an article that appears on the New York Times website. It is written by the Editor of the New York Times letters page.

In the original article (paywall), after many erudite statements from the most frequent contributors, you will find a statement by me, which I included in the excerpt below. It is, I believe, some of my finest writing. I hope you agree.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


An excerpt of 'Meet the Regulars' 
By Thomas Feyer

Every day, hundreds of thousands of readers make their way through The New York Times, in print or online. Hundreds of them — outraged, amused or touched in some way — like to write back and give us a piece of their mind.
Then there are those I call the Regulars. They write a lot — some almost every day, some several times a day. Their letters are especially clear and cogent, bettering their odds of being selected for publication in the highly subjective winnowing process.
I thought I would bring some of the frequently published letter writers into the discussion, so I asked them to address — preferably in 100 words or less, shorter than the typical letter we run — one of these questions:
▪ What do you get out of writing so frequently?
▪ What are your main interests?
▪ What are your secrets to getting published?
**Here is my response, which made the cut for publication:**

To the Editor:

Question: What do you get out of writing so frequently?
Answer: Insomnia.
ROBERT S. NUSSBAUM, Fort Lee, N.J.
The writer is a lawyer.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

FC Robert, That’s great! Yours was definitely the best! I love it. Thanks for sharing that! FC Lisa

Anonymous said...

I wish you were the first letter...got carpal tunnel scrolling down...Love it... I wish you could be as prolific as you are at letter writing without the insomnia... I am proud of you! xoxoxo, Pam

Anonymous said...

Brilliant, pithy and to the point! Exceedingly well done
We are most proud of you. This was certainly recognition of your skill and talent as a writer.

A and A

Anonymous said...

FC Robert, I can’t speak for how you feel about what you get out of writing so much, and if it’s insomnia that’s terrible but then maybe you should try writing in the daytime, and this may be the pithiest essay you’ve ever written…but certainly not the best. J



FC Gerson

Anonymous said...

I think that having rob's comment at the bottom was a stroke of genius...it was good for a great laugh and I think that it will be the only comment that people who read the article will remember....:)))))....joan

Anonymous said...

Love it !!

H

Anonymous said...

They forgot Bruce Neuman of Sag Harbor. And there is a guy in Cincinnati who is in more than most of these people. But it is nice to know their professions, finally.

Proud to be one degree of separation from a Timesean regular. PB

Anonymous said...

Lol!! Your response was the best!

M

Anonymous said...

Bravo!!!

G

Anonymous said...

You have 99 words left!! Congratulations! What fun!

R

Anonymous said...

Robert, You told us "insomnia" but we thought that you used all 100 words to describe it! Very well done, our friend...superb as always.
Now, get some sleep.
g and h

Anonymous said...

I loved your letter!!

F

Anonymous said...

It’s good to be “Regular” at our age. All kidding aside, I was very impressed with Feyer’s comments about you and your very few peers. Very well done! (Or should I say “very ept”?)

M

Anonymous said...

Very concise
C

Anonymous said...

What a great one liner. To the point, perfect and clear - no surprise why your letters (or word choices) always make the cut! :)

L

Anonymous said...

Very good Robert!
J

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. We agree with your assessment.

K

Anonymous said...

Quite a terse response.
But certainly recognized for your proclivity and persistence.
F

Anonymous said...

Saw the article and thought of you. Enjoyed your response

E

Anonymous said...

Yes, I read your response in your blog and had a good laugh, but now seeing it in the context of all the other responses, I love it.

N

Anonymous said...

FC- Yours was the best, but I enjoyed reading all of them.

D

Anonymous said...

Well, you have the "timeliness, brevity and wit" requirements down pat. Congratulations!

J

Anonymous said...



This is a wonderful piece. I am sharing it with the rest of my nerdy clan before I suffer from insomnia.

B

Anonymous said...

THAT is so YOU!! Congratulations. That is some bright crowd you have been lumped in with. Maybe the "S" of your middle name really is Solomon. I am beginning to believe it. And I do like seeing your letter being kept for last.

G

Anonymous said...

Love ya Bobby,

H

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha, ha.....so deep and filled with such insight
M

Anonymous said...

Totally love it!!!

E

Anonymous said...

Your answer the Times was a riot!! I hadn't read it until yesterday because I've been swamped with work. It was worth waiting for!

L