About

Friday, January 26, 2018

Letter from a Deportation Cell

It is with a heavy heart that I write to you to say my farewell. You, my children, who have memories of this home and no other.

But I beg you, do not despair, do not weep. For only in your strength can I find the will to persevere.

I entered this land but a young man. Filled with the promise of a better tomorrow, where hope was my companion and happiness was within reach. And know that I have been happy here, even more than that.

I found your mother and that is an eternal blessing. And I have been given the gift of you boys, something no prison cell, no time nor distance can ever destroy or diminish. You are now and forever in my heart and in my head. I carry you with me no matter where my body may find itself.

 I pray that you don't give up on this country. It may have dealt us the cruelest of blows, it may have lost its way in these darkest of times, but it has not forever lost its morality, only misplaced it.

It is your duty and obligation to show those who would treat you with the most ugliness and disdain that you are more, much more than they believe. Do not let them turn your heart cold for only then would we truly be vanquished.

Be strong, be resolute, full of grace and dignity. In this our moment of deepest sorrow and anger, do not allow their cruelty to become yours.

It may be some time before we meet again, before we hug again, before we laugh as one again. But know that I will never leave you, that I will be by your side each and every step you take, that you will be in my dreams each night and my prayers every day.

Remember me when you pass our favorite stream, in the quiet of an early Sunday morning, in the most beautiful of sunsets. Remember me on the good days and the ones that are less so. For I will remember you in every single breath and it will serve as my blanket and shield against the harshest wind.

Stay well, stay committed, make me and your mom proud.

With all my love,

Dad

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

this should be published. too early in the morning to cry-but i did lois

Sacco said...

A Gem! I feel the father's pain intimately.

Anonymous said...

A Gem! I feel the father's pain intimately.

KS

Anonymous said...

Ripped me to my core but left me with the rays of hope and promise I need daily to protect me from total despair and depression.

❤️

Anonymous said...

Tragic, and it's happening now all over our country!!

L

Robert said...

This is a piece of fiction, inspired by my reading this morning Dr. King's "Letter from Birmingham Jail."

My work is intended to imagine and represent the strength and capacity of all those we attempt to dehumanize.

Robert

Anonymous said...

Knew it was fiction and it was overwhelmingly powerful. I hope it gets published, would be surprised if it does not. Already shared with the other “Robert” groupies I have cultivated.
😌

E

Anonymous said...

I AGREE WITH SEVERAL COMMENTS. THIS ONE DESERVES TO BE AN OP-ED. NAT

Anonymous said...

My son's girlfriend, who is from Vietnam, has had her working visa cancelled, along with thousands of others. Consequently her employer had to let her go, and she must return to Vietnam next month. Her letter to President Trump, which also appeared in the Op-ed for the Wall Street Journal (Nov 14th), was to no avail. It is a searing reality for many. We are helpless--RE

Robert said...

The letter in the Wall Street Journal was wonderfully written and clearly demonstrated the enormous value of retaining the writer as a productive member of our workforce. It is a farce and a tragedy that she is now compelled to leave.