About

Monday, April 1, 2019

ANOTHER LETTER IN THE NEW YORK TIMES - JUST NOT MINE



At every opportunity, I have advised in BOLD LETTERS of my writing accomplishments, intending to emphasize my mastery of my craft. Years of honing my skills and a mental dexterity, combining to produce yet one more piece of wizardry. Not something to be lightly taken or dismissed. A talent, absolutely.

Not to be attempted by those without the requisite training and creativity. Studying the political landscape, becoming uniquely adept at translating our collective angst into a stunningly well crafted statement. Or capturing some personal moment with my own well honed mix of humor and gravity.  I was, I am, special.

So, a few days ago, my friend was visiting her parents, reading the New York Times. Out of sheer boredom, she decided to write a letter to the editor in response to an article about the diminishing universe of stick shift cars. With no expectations, off the letter went. It was her first and only attempt at this exercise. She had clearly chosen a topic of limited interest, one which I would never advise anyone to waste their time on if the intent was to ever be seen in print.

I saw my friend and her husband this past weekend. He casually mentioned that his wife's letter, on her grave disappointment in having to enter the world of automatics, was to be published in MY domain. I was MORTIFIED, but I mumbled some words of congratulation, trying to turn insincerity into genuine sounding applause.

My world is crumbling around me, for today's NY TIMES has my friend's thoughts there for the world to view. A neophyte, writing to the paper for a lark, because she ran out of alternative ways to keep herself entertained. Could even Caesar have felt more a sense of betrayal?

What cruelty, what a mortal blow to my ego. Where are the gatekeepers who should keep entry into this most exclusive club far away from those who would treat this experience so cavalierly? 

From this time forth consider me humbled. I shall limit my exclamation points and BOLD notations of my greatness, for I have learned that anyone with a quick wit and a minute or two with nothing better to do is equally capable as I.

 I do CONGRATULATE my friend on a job well done. I just wish she hadn't made it seem so damn easy.

9 comments:

PickleBiz said...

Alas, a cruel reminder of our ordinariness. But, then again, will your friend, as you are surely destined to incite, have a 'Nussbaum' section added to the Times regular features? I think not.

Simon C. Lipton said...

YOU ARE SPECIAL! YOU ARE TALENTED! SLEEP TIGHT. SCL

Robert said...

In keeping with the theme of this piece, below is a response received, complimenting NOT MY WORK but the RESPONSE TO MY WORK

------

loved the comment

Lois

Robert said...

This has me thinking maybe Trump was right and it was just a bored 400 poundguy, sitting on his bed with nothing better to do, who hacked into the DNC server

Anonymous said...

Haha

BL

Anonymous said...

Is this an April Fool’s?!!?
Published or not, rest easy, you are our fearless, fervent friend forever -never, ever a fool!!! 😉❤️

EA

Anonymous said...

Funny letter

TF

Anonymous said...

OMG- hilarious; I hope you can move on now

MM

Anonymous said...

You have nothing to worry about! Keep calm and carry on. So funny! --RE