About

Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Stop Handing Out Lottery Tickets and Start Handing Down Laws

 AN EDITED VERSION OF THIS POST IS THE LEAD LETTER TO THE EDITOR IN THE NEW YORK TIMES ON JULY 1, 2021


("Vaccine Mandates Are Coming. Good")

As of this writing, I have been fully vaccinated for 4 months and 8 days. I reside in an area where vaccination rates have surpassed what is perceived to be herd immunity standards. The daily death toll in this entire State from Covid 19 hovers near 0. So, I feel as protected as possible under the circumstances. 

Yet I am angered by the failure at the Federal, State and local levels to mandate that the reluctant, the recalcitrant, the reckless roll up their sleeves and become inoculated.

Over 600,000 have died in this country alone. When is enough too much? I understand, although I disagree, that safety concerns must sometimes give way to religious accommodations, and I fully comprehend there are those who may have legitimate health issues that preclude their participation, but beyond that, get in line.

Only an EUA, not full FDA approval? Give me a break. We have just lived through over a year in collective Hell. I can't be silent while others die a needless, senseless death.

It is well past the moment of no return. Stop handing out lottery tickets and start handing down laws. Get the damn shot. Now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your sentiment is understandable. Let's hope that the reason for not "handing down laws" is not some ridiculous desire to appease 'on the fence' voters, who hold their "personal liberties" tightly to their gun belt. We will never appease that crowd.--RE

Anonymous said...

Is this number 70 at the NYT?

PB

Robert said...

Honestly not certain but believe this is somewhere between 84 and 86.

RSN