About

Sunday, November 2, 2008

The song of our lives

I went to a political satire show last night. It featured parodies of songs that reflected views on many of the key issues surrounding the Presidential race. This got me to thinking of Beatles' lyrics, UNCHANGED, that speak of what is on everyone's minds in these frantic moments leading up to November 4.


John McCain on where the campaign has led him - Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away, now it looks as though they're here to stay, oh I believe in yesterday. Suddenly,I'm not half the man I used to be, there's a shadow hanging over me. Oh, yesterday came suddenly.

McCain on his ever-mounting problems with Sarah Palin- Help I need somebody. Help not just anybody. Help you know I need someone.

Barack Obama on his journey to the White House- The long and winding road that leads to your door will never disappear, I've seen that road before. It always leads me here, leads me to your door.

The banks on the financial spiral downward - You never give me your money, you only give me your funny paper, and in the middle of negotiations you break down

The rich Republican's view on Obama's 'Redistribution' of wealth - Let me tell you how it will be, there's one for you nineteen for me. Cos' I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman. Should 5% appear too small, be thankful I don't take it all.


The Democrats on change, and the war- You say you want a revolution, well you know we all want to change the world. You tell me that's it evolution, well you know we all want to change the world. But when you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out.

On facing a troubled economy- Now the darkness only stays at nighttime, in the morning it will fade away. Daylight is good at arriving at the right time. It's not always going to be this grey. All things must pass. All things must pass away. All things must pass. All things must pass away.

On the end of the Bush Presidency- The fool on the hill sees the sun going down and the eyes in his head see the world spinning round.


The Republican operatives- Listen, do you want to know a secret? Do you promise not to tell, whoa whoa. Closer, let me whisper in your ear. Say the words you long to hear... I've known a secret for a week or 2, nobody knows, just we 2.

Talking about Joe the Plumber- Nowhere man, please listen. You don't know what you're missing. Nowhere man, the world is at your command. He's as blind as he can be. Just see what he wants to see. Nowhere man can you see me at all?

Bill and Hillary talking to Barack- Anytime at all, anytime at all, anytime at all, all you have to do is call and I'll be there.

John talking to Sarah- Two of us riding nowhere, spending someone's hard earned pay. You and me Sunday driving, not arriving on our way back home. We're on our way home, we're on our way home. We're going home.

Barack talking to his wife- Michelle, ma belle, sont les mots qui vont tres bien ensemble, tres bien ensemble. I love you, I love you, I love you. That's all I want to say.

All of us talking to the next president- Don't let me down

Don't let me down
Don't let me down
Don't let me down

Why do we need talking heads and political pundits when we have the Beatles?
--

1 comment:

MarciaAllar said...

rob...loved the beatles piece
hope i wake up on wednesday singing
"here comes the sun"
marcia in boston