About

Friday, August 5, 2011

In Need of Great Yankee Philosophers

("Stocks in Worst Tumble in 2 Years Amid Global Worry")

As the famous philosopher Yogi Berra once said, "it's deja vu all over again". I had a similar feeling in the pit of my stomach in October of 2008, as I looked on helplessly while my investment portfolio value shrunk and threatened to disappear. At that time, it was new and frightening. Now it feels old and sickening.

Warren Buffett told us then to stay the course. Have faith in the government to right itself, don't panic. Invest and hold, for in the long run, we would be healthy and prosperous again. Mr. Buffett would soon thereafter put a great deal of money where his mouth was, seemingly as a way to assure us of a better tomorrow.

I need Mr. Buffett, or someone else who appears prescient, to tell me to stop worrying, because I certainly don't see the light at the end of this tunnel. Our country has been taken prisoner by the destructive and ill conceived policies of the party of the wrong, on the farthest of the right. The result is a weak economy made weaker, seemingly susceptible to falling flat on its face in the next strong wind.

I see most of the rest of the world either in civil war or in worse financial shape than us. Where can I turn to feel any sense of comfort or hope? Another former Yankee?

"Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you? What'a that you say Mrs. Robinson, Joltin' Joe has left and gone away." I search desperately for that reassuring voice but today I hear only the sounds of silence.

Calm my spirit Mr. Buffett, please. If you can't help us, maybe Yogi will have to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done, much needed.
H