About

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Pet Phrases

I have a (dog) bone to pick with Gail Collins. I ask that she please refrain from referring to Romney as "the guy who drove to Canada with the family dog strapped on the roof" anymore. It is distracting that in seemingly every column on the former governor this tale (tail) appears. It is lazy journalism and eventually (meaning now) it detracts from the value of the piece.

And while I am at it, I don't need any more images of the "confidence fairy" appearing in Paul Krugman's columns on the Republican view of how to deal with our economic debacle. He should not rely on reusing and recycling Tinkerbell's cousin for support of his theories.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with Ms. Collins perception of the likely Republican presidential candidate as something light years away from the  perfect image he attempts to project. Further, I find compelling Mr. Krugman's contention that the Republican economic philosophy is the antithesis of what this nation requires. Mr. Krugman is the op-ed writer whose views I most respect, and reading of his column is my first order of business each Monday and Friday.

But your paper strives (successfully) to reach the pinnacle with the most interesting, informative and well written pieces day after day. Ms. Collins and Mr. Krugman are far more clever and far more entertaining when their phrases are not on auto-pilot.

No comments: