About

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Processing Donald Trump

I have grown quiet in recent days, my pen resting by my side. I feel, as do many like me, that I am going through the grieving process, trying to cope with a profound loss.

The mind wants desperately not to live in a state of negative being. That is why it would rather I wipe the slate clean for the President-elect, treat his past sins as meaningless peccadilloes and permit him the latitude to create his vision for our universe without pre-judgment.

But that is near impossible given the continuing tweets reminding us of the dangers that lie ahead for constitutional safeguards and those freedoms we hold dear, the cabinet choices that reinforce the notion that our worst fears will be realized for the future of our economy, our environment, our poor and suffering, our women, our immigrants, our standing in the international community.

We are informed that control is now in the hands of the dangerously wrong and  the critical beliefs that should constitute an immutable framework for this nation are in serious jeopardy of being cast asunder.

So I must not become complacent or indifferent to what I witness. Must not stand idle and allow this tragedy to unfold without comment. Must awaken from my stupor to give voice to my concerns.

Forget the five steps. Acceptance of the reality of Mr. Trump's presidency is not an option.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

charles blow on my right
robert nussbaum on my left
NOW I FEEL ALL MY THOUGHTS CAN COME OUT ELOQUENTLY

E

Anonymous said...

How to accept the unacceptable is a conscious conundrum for the ages. The adage, life goes on, is true enough, but for whom? It's been my observation that we as a people tend to fall into varying states of chaos only to emerge through a continuous struggle into some form of stability, and if we're lucky, joy. This process repeats itself forever.

The thing to do is learn to enjoy the process.

Lately, I find myself rooting for the word petard, as used in Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 4:
"For ’tis the sport to have the engineer hoist with his own petard.

K

Anonymous said...

You so eloquently verbalize all rational people's fears

er

njwolfdad said...

It is very difficult to give him the benefit of the doubt when his every pick for his cabinet and advisors just foment more doubt. These people who will filter the truth for him and feed it to him in soundbites are the least qualified people to help run a country that we have ever seen in our lifetimes. To put a fox in charge of every henhouse gives very little comfort to any of the hens. Imagine how all those hens will soon feel...