About

Tuesday, June 11, 2019

My Dad's Son


This Sunday will mark 40 years since the last Father's Day my dad was alive. I don't remember how we spent that day together but I am sure I fooled myself into believing there would be at least one more to come despite the growing evidence of the progress of his cancer.

Four decades later I remain my father's son. Despite the chasm of time, I am still self defined by the feeling of being his boy. Not first a husband, not a dad or a granddad, but his child. Whatever else in life I have become, I have never stopped being that. 

I think it is that perception, despite the passage of over 14,000 days, which makes his existence almost palpable. Still makes me try to envision him standing in the next room. Still waiting for death to write a letter of apology and return my dad to me. But the truth is he has never left.

I am now 67 years old. Yet on this Sunday, I will be as I was on that Father's Day in 1979. Just the son of my dad. Past, present and forever. 

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very poetic and true

PM

Anonymous said...

Well said.

FCL

Anonymous said...

beautiful tribute lois

Anonymous said...

Very special .. my Dad is always with me as well

LB

Anonymous said...

Your words are my same daily thoughts about my Dad as well. He really never left.--RE

Anonymous said...

Such a heartfelt and deserved remembrance….

It’s unbelievable that it has been so many years since your Dad passed. I suspect your wife, kids and grandchild relate to you as you do/did to your Dad.

RO

Anonymous said...

Fabulous.

JK

Anonymous said...

I am moved. Hopefully he is too!

T

Anonymous said...

so moving...brought tears to my eyes
and i always define myself as my father's daughter
we were so lucky to have had them as our dads
i only wish you had yours longer

MA

Anonymous said...

I love this. And it has an additional meaning for me because my father died on Fathers’ Day.


LS

Limor said...

Beautiful tribute!

Anonymous said...

Love this.

MLS

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

This Sunday will be 40 years to the day that my Dad passed away. It was Father’s Day morning.

Let’s celebrate their lives and their legacies....


EA

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and Heartfelt.

AM

Anonymous said...

So beautifully and poignantly written.

JB

Anonymous said...

Your piece was beautiful

DS