About

Monday, August 26, 2019

Feeling the Loss of a Parent

AN EDITED VERSION OF THIS POST IS SCHEDULED TO APPEAR IN  LETTERS TO THE EDITOR IN THE NEW YORK TIMES

("I Couldn't Say "My Mother" Without Crying")

My dad died 40 years ago this coming December and while I was not a teenager at his passing (I was 27 at the time)  I still feel his loss daily.  

The arc of my business life changed dramatically (my nearly life long dream of practicing law with my dad over almost as soon as it began) and I mourn that he never got the opportunity to be a grandfather to my children, for them to feel his warmth and his strength.  But most of all I miss his companionship.

I understand that I did not suffer my loss when I was still trying to sort out the basics of who I was, or attempting to grapple with the fundamentals of the complex workings of the universe. But grief remains a part of my being, my soul, even as I near 70. 

So while I understand that there are quantum differences between losing a parent in one's formative years as opposed to when one is supposedly able to more easily stand on one's feet, I still occasionally wobble four decades removed from the guiding hand of my dad. The pain of loss has no age limits.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful piece. You brought tears to my eyes again

GK

Anonymous said...

Very poignant.

JK

Anonymous said...

Spot on wonderful

PB

Anonymous said...

Well, that brought tears to my eyes

LK

Anonymous said...

You have a way with words!!

BL

Anonymous said...

So well said. Your mother and father were wonderful parents.

JB

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. As always. It never ceases. For always

LP

Anonymous said...

Powerful. I lost my Dad at 21!

EG

Anonymous said...

While I never had the privilege of knowing your Dad, I am clear that so much of who he was - his values, warmth, kindness, passion, wisdom and humility - is who you are!

EA

Anonymous said...

you made me cry... again

Lois

Anonymous said...

Beautiful piece.

TH

Anonymous said...

So Beautiful --RE

Anonymous said...

So true.

Parental loss was a big topic at my brother’s 60th this weekend since many family members lost parents very early.

Even with the more recent loss of our parents we noted that the mourning changes but never ends.

B

Alex said...

Truly touching, dad. Sad I was never able to meet him. Surely he passed on many of his wonderful qualities to you.

Anonymous said...

I understand

T