About

Friday, December 31, 2021

The Asterisk

    

AN EDITED VERSION OF THIS POST IS SCHEDULED TO APPEAR IN LETTERS TO THE EDITOR IN THE NEW YORK TIMES


("I Investigated Bonds and Clemens. Yes, They Belong in Cooperstown")


Is there such a thing as an asterisk in the Hall of Fame?

Was our anger at the failings of Mr. Bonds and Mr. Clemens, in part, a misplaced disappointment with the system that enabled the abuse to occur and with ourselves for turning a knowing blind eye? Have we done these two a grave injustice?

Or is it the hubris of possibly the two greatest players of their day, maybe of any day, the ultimate basis for denying them entry into the pantheon of the gods? Like Pete Rose, the man who accumulated the most hits in MLB history but remains banished from the game for, at least in my mind, having the nerve to continually lie about his transgressions, is the lack of capacity to repent the worst sin of all? 
I have struggled to reach my own conclusion here, as I long felt the Hall of Fame exclusion was the only retribution, the only punishment that fit the crime committed by two men who received adulation and riches for bending the rules of the game. But maybe I now can see the fault was somewhat equally with ourselves as with the stars.

So let me now cast aside my doubts and grievances and cast my vote, with an asterisk, for Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens.

Time may not heal all wounds completely, but it can make them sting a lot less.

4 comments:

PickleBiz said...

Yes to Rose, no to Bonds.

Anonymous said...

Thinking….
LJP 8A

Anonymous said...

Let's hear it for the asterisk!

Don

Anonymous said...

Congrats. They can't get enough of you

AL