About

Sunday, June 5, 2022

The Opening Act

 I'm here to welcome you in

My guitar and heart on a string

Opening up, I'm opening up 
Hoping my words will sing

I give you my two cents 
You give me back maybe one
I play for pennies and smiles
That show me how I've done

I try not to seem so desperate
But where do I go from here
45 now, like an old time record
Just a step ahead of my fear

I should be closing my opening act
Counted in heartache and miles
But I just can't let it go
Still chasing those pennies and smiles 

I live in my grandparent's house
Hardly a penny to my name
A life on the road to nowhere 
But I'm still looking for fame

I may be broke but I'm not broken
Chasing after pennies and smiles
I'm opening up, your opening act
And I'll be with you for a while

So settle in and settle down
Please listen to my tale
And if you like what you hear
Please buy my CD's on sale

I live in my grandfolk's house
With a nod to the past unspoken
Chasing after pennies and smiles
Broke but still not broken

An opening act for life
That's all I'll ever be 
But give me a penny and a smile 
And the world's done right by me



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

“If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone, somewhere is making a penny.” Steven Wright

Anonymous said...

Well done

JP