About

Friday, June 24, 2022

On the End of Roe v Wade

No matter the omnipresent human violation of gun violence, no matter the overwhelming sight of Ukraine covered in blood and despair, no matter the environmental destruction that is everyday more evident, no matter the depth of emotion brought about by our political divides, no matter even Donald Trump's blatant efforts to destroy the very fabric of our democracy, nothing, NOTHING, feels so immediate as today's ruling by the Supreme Court.

It is your children and mine, your grandchildren and mine, who are the ones to whom this decision is addressed. It is their liberties that are being deleted as if they were errors on a page to be removed by the turn of a phrase. It is a direct attack, not a hypothetical, not happening thousands of miles away, not occurring over years or decades, not in someone else's neighborhood, someone else's home. 

It is a sad day in America. I know that many will feel vindicated for their efforts leading to today. I know that the Republican party will pat themselves on the back for denying Merrick Garland the seat he rightfully deserved on this very Court. I know that Donald Trump, by his good political fortune in the passing of RBG will expect congratulations for what has now transpired. I only know that what has occurred today may be the first of many steps in a descent of our country into an image that may one day soon be unrecognizable. I only know that the very heart of this country has been torn today.

We knew this day was coming. We have felt it in the winds. And still when I learned of the decision I let out an audible gasp. This one is personal.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent

HL

Anonymous said...

What a devastating day! Thank you for your comments. When I heard, I felt as if I’d been punched in the stomach. So sad🥲

Anonymous said...

It is such a sad day. I feel nothing but anger recalling the congressional hearings where each of the Trump judicial candidates pledged to honor precedence. In the meantime, Republican governors are now gearing up to do the same thing as the court.--RE

Anonymous said...

Succor punch
Where do we go from here?

Anonymous said...

I heard your gasp and know you heard mine.😢😢😢😢

EA

Anonymous said...

I’m wondering what will be attacked next; birth control, gay rights. We are fast approaching a theocracy.

JP

Anonymous said...

As usual, succinctly put and well said

V