About

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Huh?

("Mr. Trump's Dangerous Babble on Foreign Policy")

Mr. Trump demonstrates, with each passing day and each non-comment comment that he possesses neither a fundamental understanding of the problems that face us, nor a thoughtfully conceived position relating to these issues. The transcript of the New York Times recent interview with the candidate reveals the depth of the shallowness of Mr. Trump.


On Nuclear Weapons for Japan and South Korea: "Well, it's a position we have to talk about, and it's a position that at some point is something we have to talk about... I'm sure these things are being discussed over there anyway without our discussion"

On Cyberwarfare: "Certainly cyber has to be, you know, certainly cyber has to be in our thought process, very strongly in our thought process."

On Spying on Allies: "I'm sure not I would want to be talking about that.... there's such total predictability in this country, and it's one reason we do so poorly. You know, I'd rather not say on that."

On Tensions in the South China Sea: "Would I go to war? There's a question I wouldn't want to answer... I don't want to say what I would do because, again we need unpredictability."

On a Two State Solution for Israel: " What I'm going to do is, you know, I specifically don't want to address the issue because I would love to see if a deal could be made."

On Boots on the Ground: "I know you'll criticize me for this, but you cannot just have a standard."


We worry and wonder where a President Trump would lead us. He is like the Governor in "Best Little Whorehouse" who gleefully croons "now you see me, now you don't."  The truth is that Mr. Trump is hiding in plain sight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Broken down into its barest elements, without the fancy rhetoric, it's identical to what we've heard the last seven years. They both bend reality to suit their conveniences, and their conceits. The pundits offer high-toned explanations for why Trump has risen this far, despite political expectations and ordinary good sense. The pundits performed similarly opportunistic services when Mr. Obama's star was rising.

Robert said...

Respectfully,huh?

Are you contending that Trump's double-speak, I don't know, I haven't really thought about it, I have really take the time to learn about it, is the equivalent of how President Obama has addressed these issues? You may disagree with some or all of his policy positions, as even I find fault with the way some matters have been handled.

But to equate this interview (read it if you dare) with anything remotely resembling what we have witnessed the past 7 years is just not to be paying attention. This is not "fancy rhetoric" versus plain talk. Mr. Trump's "now you see it, now you don't" demonstrates nothing more than an utter lack of preparation to handle the complexities of the job as President.